Welcome to Stilton
Stilton High Street
Looking north up the High Street, once the Great North Road, in Stilton, Huntingdonshire
The village and parish of Stilton in Huntingdonshire.
Sticiltone (xi cent.).
The parish of Stilton contains 1,637.5 acres of land, the subsoil
being mainly Oxford Clay, with a small area of Cornbrash. It was
inclosed in 1805 by private Act of Parliament. A few surface
implements of the Neolithic age or later have been found, but of the
Roman occupation the only trace recorded at Stilton is a heavy
silver seal ring, perhaps dropped by some traveller along the Ermine
Street. From the position of the village on the Ermine Street, now
part of the Great North Road, it obtained a certain importance as a
posting station, with inns of a considerable size.
The office of post-master was much sought after in the 17th century by the rival
innkeepers, one of whom offered to take the post not only without
salary, but would pay down £20 to £40 to obtain it. Of the
present-day inns, although both have been rebuilt, the Bell, an
interesting stone house rebuilt in 1642, with mullioned windows and
a very fine wrought-iron sign, was in existence before 1515.
In 1613 the Herald sat at the Angel Inn to hold his visitation for this part
of the county, and in 1620 it belonged to the Apreece family. Until
recent years it was a fine 18th-century red brick house, but has
ceased to be an inn, and is now divided into several tenements. It
was partly burnt down in 1923. Both inns claim to have been the
first place to sell Stilton cheese, and in 1725 young Lord Harley,
passing through Stilton, tasted and disapproved the cheese sold at
the Bell. The cheese is said to have been made at Stilton before
1720, but was popularised by Cooper Thornhill, landlord of the Bell,
about 1730, who, selling more than he could obtain locally, had it
made by his relatives in Leicestershire. The village suffered from
very serious fires in 1729, 1798 and 1895, while the Manor House,
which stands north-west of the church, was the scene of a fire in
1907. There are a Wesleyan and a United Methodist chapel in the
Stilton is one of the parishes of the District of
Huntingdonshire, whose administrative centre is
Huntingdon, the other principle towns being
home of the Chapel on the Bridge,
the largest town in the County of Cambridgeshire, the Roman town of
site of the former Abbey.
The box below displays a random selection from the great deals, special
offers and/or SALE items that are available from the
site members but you may follow this link to view all the
current what's HOT in the district.
Forthcoming Events in or around Stilton
Here are the next five events in the Huntingdonshire Event Diary, the local ones are coloured GOLD and
clicking the title will open links to event detail on this website whilst
following the "Out of Village' events will open in a new window on their
own website. Click 'Show Summary' for exactly what it says,
without going anywhere!
If you are organising an event anywhere if Huntingdonshire then follow this link for information
on how to add a new event and advertise your event on over 50 websites
SORRY - We do not have any events in the new diary yet!